Paying for Your Seminary Education

The General Theological Seminary offers both merit and need-based scholarships. Students also receive financial aid from other sources such as: external grants and scholarships, direct student loans, and college work study opportunities. Determining and understanding all your options can be a complicated process. The Financial Aid office is ready to assist you through the financial aid process.


How to Apply for Financial Aid

The GTS Financial Aid Application is completed each year. Copies of the application are available at the Financial Aid Office or online at Financial Aid Application.

For the 2018-2019 year, the Financial Aid Application deadline for fall is April 23 (new students) and May 18 (returning students). For spring admission the deadline in November 1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA) must be completed annually to determine your EFC (Expected Family Contribution). Complete the form online at or

Applications for Financial Aid must be accompanied by notification of any other outside aid and scholarship received or applied for. Ordination-track students are required to seek support from their parish and diocese. Please use these forms to supply the parish and diocesan support.

Parish Confirmation Form »
Diocesan Confirmation Form »


Grants and Scholarships

Throughout General's long history, the capacity to admit seminarians of academic excellence and gifts for ministry without regard to their financial resources has remained critical to our mission. Thanks to generations of generous benefactors, a wide variety of scholarships are available.

The GTS Scholarship Committee takes the process of awarding financial aid very seriously and strives to assist students with grants and scholarships. Degree-seeking students who maintain satisfactory academic progress and who are enrolled for at least nine credits in a semester are eligible to apply for GTS scholarships. For need based scholarships, the committee considers need as the difference between your COA (Cost of Yearly Attendance) and your EFC (Expected Family Contribution), parish and diocesan support, and outside grants. Other scholarships are awarded based on donor stipulations and restrictions.


Student Loans

GTS participates in Federal Financial Aid programs; Direct Unsubsidized Student Loans, Direct Plus Loans for Graduate Students and the Federal Work Study. Students must be enrolled at least half time (six credits) and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

To apply, students must complete the GTS Financial Aid Application and the FAFSA. For Federal Work Study, students must prove need. Proving need is not required for Direct Unsubsidized Loans or for Plus Loans for Graduate Students. Plus Loans require proof of credit worthiness. To apply go to, complete the FAFSA using the GTS school code G02726, complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note.

We encourage eligible students to apply for Work Study at GTS. The opportunities for work are varied—from assisting in the library, conducting research, assisting the Chaplain's office, writing and editing and data base management. These opportunities enrich your experience at GTS.



Accept Financial Aid

When GTS has completed your Financial Aid package, you will receive an award letter. If you see any discrepancies in the information or would like to change the amount of aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office before accepting the package.

To “accept” your Financial Aid loans, scholorships and grants, log on to Populi from our website and follow the instructions. Please send the Financial Aid Office an email once the process is complete. Acceptance of the loans, scholarships and grants is required.

If you are a First Time borrower at GTS through the Direct Student Loan program, you must go to the website below to electronically sign a master promissory note and complete the Direct Student Loan Entrance Counseling. If you are taking Direct Plus Loans for Graduate Students, you will need to sign the promissory note for each Plus Loan. Grand Plus Entrance Counseling is required for these loans. Please notify the Financial Aid Office when you have completed these steps.

Sign in using the same PIN # used to sign your FAFSA.


Work Study

Work Study is a part-time employment program for students who have demonstrated financial need. Unlike other types of financial aid, students will receive their work study award in the form of a paycheck once or twice a month throughout the semester. The student must find a job, work, and earn the award. Students may earn up to the amount of their work study award each semester.

A work study participant is classified as a temporary, part-time employee of GTS. While not subject to Federal withholding, these wages are subject to state and local withholding taxes. All such wages and withholdings are reported to the IRS and State and City tax offices. All work study students must stop by the Business Office to obtain the required withholding forms and become enrolled in the GTS payroll system, as well as to update tax withholding information, as needed. In order to complete your work study paperwork, you will need to have a Social Security card and one of the following: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, U.S. voter's registration card or alien registration card. For your paycheck to be processed, you must submit a bi-weekly timesheet with your work study supervisor's signatures.

Positions in various on-campus departments and organizations are readily available (though not guaranteed) and usually pay $11/hour. A work study orientation will be held by the Office of Financial Aid.

For your paycheck to be processed, you must submit a bi-weekly timesheet with your work-study supervisor's signatures to the Financial Aid Office.

Time sheets must be submitted within 30 days of the duties performed or risk possibility on non-payment.

Important notice: Work study earnings are not credited toward tuition and fees or room and board but are paid to you on a biweekly basis. Money earned from employment is normally used for books, transportation, and personal expenses.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

1. Any full-time student who, in a given term, fails to complete at least nine credits with an average grade of “C-” or better for that term shall be on academic probation.

2. Any student who, in a given term, receives two grades of “F” or “NCr” in courses of at least two credits each shall be placed on academic probation.

3. To be removed from academic probation, a student must, over the period of the term, complete nine credits with an average grade of “C-” or better.

4. For the purpose of determining probationary status an “Inc” shall count as an “F”.

5. The Registrar shall inform immediately any student on academic probation of that fact, with a copy of the letter to the student's Faculty advisor; the Registrar shall also present to the Faculty at the beginning of each term a list of those on academic probation.

6. Failure to be removed from academic probation after one term shall result in the automatic dismissal of the student from the Seminary.