Milton Cole-Duvall ’82 Remembers Selma Anniversary

Cole_Selma.jpg

As a college student inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr., the Rev. H. Milton Cole-Duvall, Jr. (Class of 1982) was drawn to Selma, Alabama, where he joined the historic marches for civil rights. As the 50th anniversary was marked throughout the country, he sat down with The Des Moines Register to reflect on his experiences from 50 years ago and racial issues today. "I felt like I was a foreigner from the beginning of the march to the end of the journey; because you never knew who might come from the darkness of the night," he said.

Cole-Duvall was a student at the College of William and Mary in Virginia at the time. He had attended the March on Washington two years earlier and heard Martin Luther King, Jr. deliver his "I Have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial. Cole-Duvall remembers watching the violence in Selma on television, and a friend asking if he'd seen the news reports. "I said, 'Yes, what are we going to do? What are we going to do?'"

Like thousands of other college students, they packed a car and made it to Selma two days later.

Read the full story on The Des Moines Registerhere.