Stuart Kenworthy ’84 Named Interim Vicar Washington National Cathedral

KenworthyWashington National Cathedral has announced the appointment of the Rev. Stuart A. Kenworthy (Class of 1984) as Interim Vicar of Washington National Cathedral. On an interim basis he will assume the position vacated by the Rev. Canon Jan Naylor Cope, who was recently named the Cathedral’s provost. Kenworthy was previously the longtime Rector of Christ Church Georgetown, Washington, D.C. from 1991 until his retirement in 2014. He also served as a chaplain in the Army National Guard from 1994 through 2007, including a deployment to Iraq in 2005-2006. He served for two terms as the President of the Alumni Executive Committee of The General Theological Seminary.

“I am grateful that Stuart has accepted my invitation to serve as Interim Vicar at the Cathedral during this transitional period. He is a gifted and beloved priest and pastor, and we will call upon his unparalleled leadership skills to help us all discern and live into the next phase of the congregation’s life and ministry,” said the Very Rev. Gary Hall, Dean of Washington National Cathedral.

“I am deeply honored to serve in this important role within the cathedral community," said Kenworthy. "Washington National Cathedral has long been a very special place to me, and I greatly look forward to working with Dean Hall and the cathedral leadership in the months ahead.”

Kenworthy is married to Fran Prescott Kenworthy, and they have three grown children. He will begin his new position on June 1, 2015.