Thank You to the LCU Fund For Women’s Education

Busby_Killian_web.jpg

The Community at General is deeply grateful for support from the LCU Fund for Women’s Education. The LCU Fund is the only organization in New York City exclusively dedicated to providing housing support to promising women students preparing for professions that give back to the community. For many years, the generosity of the LCU Fund has enabled women at General to defray much of the cost of their housing expenses, easing their financial burden.

With education costs steadily on the rise, and since New York City is one of the most expensive residential markets in the world, this special fund directed to housing is critical. It began in 1858, when a group of New York women recognized the need for safe, affordable housing for young single women working in New York City. They organized the Ladies’ Christian Association, soon renamed Ladies’ Christian Union (LCU), to meet this pressing need. Over a century and a half later, the LCU Fund continues to provide support for a diverse range of women students committed to a life of service to their community.

LCU Fund recipients from General for the 2014-2015 school year were: Lisa Busby ’15, Nancy Hennessey ’16, Jo Ann Bradley Jones ’17, Shana Kaplanov ’17, Kathleen Ann Killian ’15 (also a President's Award finalist), Deborah Lee ’17, Vicki McDonald ’17, Elizabeth Schrader M.A. ’15, S.T.M. ’16, and Ann Urinoski ’16. Last year Angela Robidoux Cipolla ’14 was the winner of the LCU President’s Award for Excellence in Leadership.

The grant was a special blessing to Lisa Busby, who has been working on her M.Div. while maintaining her home in Central New York. “At the start of my second year of Seminary, a family crisis made it necessary for me to become the primary caregiver for my two grandchildren, aged 2 and 3,” Lisa explains. “Without the assistance of the LCU foundation, I would not have been able to complete my seminary education and maintain my home in central New York to care for my family. I am honored to have been a recipient of the LCU Fund for Women's Education, and I look forward to future opportunities to pay it forward and minister to women and children in need.”

For Kat Killian, who was also a finalist for this year’s LCU President’s Award for Excellence in Leadership, the scholarship made quite a difference: “The last time I was in college, I was married with two young children and working outside of the home as well,” she remembered. “I would have to rise very early, around 3:30 a.m. to study. In pursuing a second career and a Master of Divinity, LCU’s generous housing grant has allowed me a measure of freedom to immerse myself in my studies and fulfill my calling. It has been an honor to be a recipient of the LCU Fund for Women’s Education.”