On October 27, 2015, the Rt. Rev. Griselda Delgado del Carpio, Bishop of the Episcopal Church of Cuba, visited The General Theological Seminary. After spending the day with the seminary community, she preached in the Chapel of the Good Shepherd during the Community Eucharist. Her sermon was translated by trustee member, the Rev. Yamily Bass-Choate. The Episcopal Church of Cuba dates back to the end of the 19th century, when missionaries from The Episcopal Church of the United States first arrived in the island. After the U.S. intervention at the beginning of the 20th century, the Episcopal Church of Cuba achieved greater social status as the Secretariat of the Ministry of Justice registered it as a “Protestant Episcopal Religion of the United States of America.” In 1900, the Episcopal Church of Cuba was formalized.
At first, the Episcopal Church of Cuba was a mission of The Episcopal Church of the United States, becoming a missionary district in 1901 and later, in 1968, an autonomous diocese.The missionary district held its first synod in 1906, presided by its first Bishop, Albion W. Knight and has held a synod each year since.
The Episcopal Church of Cuba falls under a Metropolitan Council in matters of Faith and Order. Council members include the Primate of Canada, the Archbishop of the West Indies, and the Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church of the United States.