Cross Roads Camp and Retreat Center, located in northwestern New Jersey, is seeking an enthusiastic, welcoming, and radically hospitable pastoral presence to serve the spiritual and religious needs of staff members, campers, and guests. An ecumenical ministry between the Episcopal Diocese of Newark and the New Jersey Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Cross Roads’ mission is to “joyfully experience God and Creation through faith, fellowship and fun.” Serving all ages and all faith backgrounds and experiences, Cross Roads provides a safe place for all to come and play, worship, and retreat from the busyness of life. The chaplain would be an integral part of the Cross Roads year-round ministry and mission. Responsibilities of the chaplain include, but are not limited to:
- Providing a safe and welcoming space for spiritual and religious growth
- Showing familiarity with camp Bible study materials to engage summer camp counselors in forming ‘discovery-time’ lesson plans
- Working side-by-side with the leadership team in teaching staff members about various aspects of camp life, especially camp worship and other elements of camp as assigned
- Aiding counselors and campers in forming daily worship services
- Coordinating logistics of the worship schedule and services
- Preparing short sermons, prayers, worship leadership, and musical guidance
- Providing prayer and spiritual support for staff members, campers, and guests
The chaplain must be able to:
- Work well in group settings
- Be comfortable handling confrontation and mediation among campers and staff
- Organize multiple projects at once
- Bring innovative and creative elements of worship into the camp setting
- Be thoughtful in making the Bible and theology available to all ages
- Musical leadership or guitar playing ability is preferred, but not required
Compensation for this position: Full room and board and a weekly stipend of $250.
or our Facebook page.
Contact Anthony Briggs, the Executive Director, for an application and interview.