The Diocese of West Virginia (Bp. Klusmeyer, Class of 1980, member Board of Trustees) is seeking Counselors for their Diocesan Camp at Peterkin (in Romney, WV). Camp counselors are integral to a positive and enriching camp experience. Counselors should be responsible, energetic, spiritually mature, and creative individuals who have an enthusiasm for working with youth and families of all ages.
Counselor Responsibilities include:
- Supervision of campers in lodges and all other camp facilities
- Leading evening devotions with campers in lodges
- Assisting with and occasionally leading morning program (including, but not limited to, small groups)
- Planning and leading afternoon elective activities (e.g. hiking, arts & crafts, pottery)
- Planning and leading evening activities.
- Basic camp duties (distributing mail, campfire set-up, putting out and bringing in water coolers, etc.)
- Supervision of one of more aspects of camp (pottery studio, athletic shed, archery, sacristy, camp store, etc.)
- Acting as a role model for Counselors-in-Training and campers
Counselors report to the Executive Staff: Daisy McBride, Executive Director; Jordan Trumble, Program Director; Jonathan McQuerrey, Interim Diocesan Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries.
The work of counselors is supplemented and supported by weekly clergy leaders and volunteer support staff.
Each week, counselors receive
- One free hour per day*
- One 3-4 hour free evening per week*
- One 18-hour break between camp sessions*
*Please note that these times are approximate. Coverage of camp and safety of campers is our utmost priority and, in case of emergency, we retain the right to shorten time-off. If this should happen, the executive staff would work with the affected counselors to reschedule time off.
Hiring preference is given to those who are 20+ years old and 2+ years out of high school. Counselors must be, at a minimum, 19 years old and one year out of high school.
A Sample Daily Schedule:
7:00AM Wake Up
8:45AM Staff Meeting/Lodge Clean-up
9:15AM Morning Program Time
1:00PM Rest Time
2:00PM First Elective
3:00PM Snack Time
3:30PM Second Elective
4:30PM Free Time
6:45PM Lodge Time
7:15PM Evening Activity
8:45PM Compline/Night Prayer
9:30PM Cabin Devotions
10:15PM Lights Out
If you have any questions or are interested in applying, please contact Jordan Trumble, Program Director