John McCard ’92 Installed as 14th Rector Of St. James’s, Richmond

The Rev. Dr. John F. McCard, Class of 1992, was installed by the Rt. Rev. Shannon Johnston, bishop of the Diocese of Virginia, as fourteenth rector of St. James’s Episcopal Church on January 17.

McCard was selected by the Vestry of St. James’s to lead the church after an extensive national search that was completed in June 2017. The call for McCard was extended on June 24 and he joined the church staff formally on September 10.

The service included a celebration of the Eucharist, at which the Rev. Canon Jason Leo, also Class of 1992, Canon for Congregational Vitality in the Diocese of Southern Ohio, delivered sermon.

McCard was rector of St. Martin in the Fields in Atlanta, Georgia for thirteen years. He also served as President and member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of St. Martin’s Episcopal School in Atlanta for students from pre-K to 8th grade. 

McCard is a native of Macon, Georgia.  He graduated from Oberlin College in Ohio, before earning his Master of Divinity Degree from Genera.   He completed a Master of Sacred Theology degree at Nashotah House in 2003 and a Doctor of Ministry Degree at Virginia Theological Seminary in 2007.  John serves as a vestry retreat leader and consultant and is an authority on the writings and life of C.S. Lewis and The Chronicles of Narnia.

St. James’s Episcopal Church, located near Virginia Commonwealth University, was established in 1835 and has been at the intersection of West Franklin and Birch Streets since 1912.