in memoriam

IN MEMORIAM: Marvin Aycock ‘94

MarvinAycock.jpg

The Rev. Marvin Brady Aycock Jr., Class of 1994 died peacefully on Saturday, Dec. 15, 2018, surrounded by family. He was a beloved brother, husband, minister, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

 Marvin Brady Aycock Jr. was born Nov. 30, 1932, in Greenville, S.C., to Marvin Brady Aycock Sr., and Arminda (Mindie) Pruitt Aycock. He graduated from Greenville High School, studied at Clemson College, served in the United States Army for two years, graduated from Furman University in 1958, and earned his Master of Divinity degree from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1961. He married Sally Rheta Thompson in 1959 and they had four children, including a daughter who died at birth.

 After graduating from seminary, Aycock served as pastor in churches in Elizabeth City, and Winston-Salem, until 1970. He left the Baptist ministry and accepted a position as an alcoholism counselor in Albemarle. For the next 25 years, he worked with the Piedmont Area Mental Health Authority. He counseled in the general mental health area, was approved by the American Association of Family Therapists, and was a certified social worker and a licensed family and marriage therapist. He and his wife joined the Episcopal church in Albemarle in 1972, and he became an ordained deacon in 1988. After completing a year of Anglican Studies at General in 1993-94, he was ordained a priest in 1995.

Aycock served as associate minister at St. Andrew's in Charlotte, and priest at Emmanuel and All Saints' in Warrenton; St. Paul's and St. Matthew's in Salisbury; and St. Paul's in Thomasville. He was pre-deceased by his sister June Aycock King (Fred). He is survived by his brother, John Belton Aycock (Helen); wife, Sally; children, Amy Aycock Cole (Franklin) of Albemarle, David King Aycock of New Orleans, La. and Clark Allen Aycock (Lisa Witler) of Asheville; grandchildren, LaShonda Aycock (Jimmy Isbill), Christopher Aycock (Emily Morton), and John Patrick Aycock; and great-grandchildren, Rayden Isbill, Kerri Isbill and Savannah Aycock. Marvin chose to have his body sent to the Whole Body Donation Program at Wake Forest School of Medicine to be used for medical courses and studies.

 A funeral service was held at St. Barnabas' Episcopal Church in Greensboro in January.

IN MEMORIAM: Jack Murray, former trustee

james-murray-tampa-fl-obituary.jpg

James K. "Jack" Murray, Jr., died February 15, 2019. He was a member of our Board of Trustees from 2011 until his death at age 83. Mr. Murray was a long-time member of St. John's Episcopal Parish in Tampa, Florida, led by the Rev. Charles "Chip" Connelly, Class of 2007.

Born June 3, 1935, Murray was a proud member of two large families of coal miners: the Murray family of Pocahontas, Virginia and the Kenyon family of Osage, West Virginia. Jack was born on June 3, 1935 in Elm Grove, West Virginia. His parents were James K. Murray and Edith Kenyon Murray.

Mr. Murray was the husband of Sandra High Murray. He was blessed with a wonderful wife. They were married on June 14, 1958 in Charleston, West Virginia and they visited Florida on their honeymoon and decided to stay in the Tampa Bay area.

He was the devoted father of Susan Murray, of Pinellas Park, FL, James K. "Jack" Murray Ill (Mary), Michael S. Murray (Allison) and Scott Lee (Erika), all of Tampa, Florida. And the proud grandfather of Sarah Ragsdale Shanklin (Billy) and Charlie Ragsdale of St. Petersburg, FL, Ashton Murray of New York, NY, Jack Murray IV, Kaitlin and Cody Murray of Tampa, FL, Jennifer Murray Kent (Tommy) of Burke, VA and Mike Murray, Jr. of New Zealand. Mr. Murray was the delighted great-grandfather of Delilah Shanklin, Jackson Lee, Adeline Lee, and Allison Kent.

During his long life, Mr. Murray had the joy of being in business with an outstanding group of partners and colleagues. And he was blessed with a wonderful group of friends.

Following the Murray family tradition, there was a private service for immediate family members only, led by the Rev. Charles "Chip" Connelly, and a later internment of the ashes at the Murray family cemetery in Charlottesville, Virginia.

 

IN MEMORIAM: Marge Christie, Former Trustee

A tribute from the Rev. Dr. Elizabeth Kaeton

ens_030812_margechristie1-500x330-crop.jpg

Marge Christie, General Seminary Trustee from 2001 – 2012 and 13-time deputy to General Convention from the Diocese of Newark, died peacefully in her sleep, April 13, 2019 at the age of 90. Marge was part of that generation of women leaders in the church - which included women like Marge Burke, Pam Chinnis, and Sallee Buckley - who worked tirelessly for the ordination of women who, themselves, were not called to ordination but, rather to an empowered ministry of the laity.

Marge served tirelessly as a member of Executive Council, the Executive Council and UN Commission on the Status of Women, The Episcopal Church Women, was among one of the first members of the Episcopal Women's Caucus and founder of The Anglican Women's Empowerment. Deeply committed to diversity and inclusion, Marge was a founding member of The Oasis (DioNewark LGBTQ Ministry), the DioNewark Dismantling Racism Commission which successfully passed a diocesan resolution which mandated Anti-Racism Training as a requirement to election to any diocesan office, and the DioNewark Women's Commission which successfully passed a resolution requiring all diocesan worship services to use inclusive/expansive language.

Even more importantly, Marge was involved in the spiritual formation of many, many women to the diaconate, priesthood, and episcopacy. At her last Diocesan Convention, she was elected first alternate for the Diocese of Newark beside her granddaughter, Caroline Christie, elected deputy at age 17. They had just spent two weeks together as roommates as part of an Anglican women’s delegation to the annual United Nations Commission on the Status of Women in New York.

She was a Giant of Justice. We who were privileged to stand on her shoulders will be forever and eternally grateful that she helped us reach for the stars and dare to bring glimpses of the Realm of God into the church.

A service honoring her life will be held at 10 AM on Saturday, June 8, 2019 at Christ Church, Ridgewood

Click here to read the tribute from the Diocese of Newark.

Click here to read the obituary at Episcopal News Service.

IN MEMORIAM: Martín Barahona, D.D. ‘12

The Most Rev. Martín de Jesús Barahona Pascacio, D.D., D.D.

30 January 1943-23 March 2019

Bishop Barahona outside the Diocesan offices in El Salvador.

Bishop Barahona outside the Diocesan offices in El Salvador.

The Most Rev. Martín de Jesús Barahona Pascacio, Doctor of Divinity honoris causa 2012, died peacefully on 23 March 2019 at the age of 76 on the eve of San Oscar Romero de las Américas’s assassination, where he was a patient in the Hospital at Divina Providencia, San Salvador, steps from the place where Romero was martyred. Bishop Barahona is survived by his wife and two daughters.

To a person, Bishop Barahona is remembered for his smile, which he had up to the end of his life. This characteristic smile was the sign of affection and love he had for the Salvadoran people and everyone whom he met.

Bishop Barahona was ordained Catholic priest first, and then worked for more than three decades in the Episcopal Church. This January 6th, he observed 50 years of priesthood and 28 March 2019 would have been his 27th anniversary of consecration as Bishop Diocesan of the Episcopal Anglican Church of El Salvador (Iglesia Anglicana Episcopal de El Salvador, IAES, 1992-2015), the first Salvadoran to be consecrated its bishop. He served the diocese, prior to its becoming autonomous (along with four other dioceses) in 1997 when the General Convention voted to form IARCA. Bishop Barahona was also former Archbishop of the Anglican Church of the Region of Central America (Iglesia Anglicana de la Región de Central de América, 2002-2010).

Bishop Barahona received an honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity honoris causa from General in May 2012. At the time of his award, Bishop Barahona was recognized for his unwavering witness to full inclusion at all levels in the church locally and internationally, for his ecumenical and interfaith ministries, for his love of people, his courage and his deep faith in God. He always maintained a message of reconciliation, respect and unity.

He also held an honorary doctorate from the Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley, CA.

Bishop Barahona grew up in a small, rural, poor northern town that eventually was subsumed by the creation of a major reservoir. He lost his father and two brothers during the civil war. He drew on this background as he engaged with the people of the IAES, and he reminded others that the IAES is committed to working with the poor.

Bishop Barahona’s participation in the wide scope of church and national life made him an internationally recognized figure. He was President of the Ecumenical Forum nationwide in connection with the Latin American Council of Churches CLAI (better known as Fe CLAI) and was called in 2007 to represent El Salvador at the Third Conference of Religions for Peace held in Kyoto, Japan, where more than 3000 people and almost 100 different religions gathered. As further sign of his devotion to ecumenism, in his retirement, Bishop Barahona earned a Master’s of Theology from the One Logos Theological Seminary, an ecumenical free seminary.

An important ministry of the IAES that Bishop Barahona created and supported is a human rights office. The IAES is the only church in Central America to have such an office, which works with land reclamation, refugees and deportees. Bishop Barahona’s vision and example of compassion and advocacy laid the foundation for this project. Likewise, in 2003, in collaboration with the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, he founded Misión de los Milagros, a health initiative that continues to this day.

Bishop Barahona was co-founder in 2000 of the non-profit organization, Fundación Cristosal. In its early years, Cristosal worked to foster relationships between the IAES and The Episcopal Church. Now it is an internationally-recognized NGO that works with the displaced, and seeks justice in rectifying El Salvador’s past and human rights.

Bishop Barahona, in his retirement, served the IAES as its Peace Ambassador, and continued his decades-long involvement with the Salvadoran Chapter of Religions for Peace as its chair. He participated in nation-wide efforts to broker peace between gangs and authorities, and tirelessly worked to instill a culture of peace throughout the country and to ensure a just and dignified life for all. He played an important role in the 1992 peace accords that ended the 12-year civil war.

The President of the Republic of El Salvador, with whom he worked as a founding member of the National Council of Security and Citizen Coexistence (Consejo Nacional de Seguridad y Convivencia Ciudadana), noted the bishop’s death.

Bishop Barahona long supported full inclusion of LGBTI people in all levels of the church and was a member of the Chicago Consultation. He was the only other primate to participate in the consecration of the Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson in 2003.

At the time of his death, Bishop Barahona pastored a small group of LGBTI young professionals in a house-church setting they call, “Comunidad Magdala.” As a testimony to the bishop’s pastoral care, the congregation will continue to worship. Likewise, a non-profit foundation, “Fundación Obispo Martín Barahona: Cuidado Pastoral Integral,” is in formation, through which his remarkable ministry of inclusion and justice-making may continue.

He survived an assassination attempt in March 2010. He stated shortly after this attempt on his life, “I have learned several things from this—that I love my people more and more, I won’t stop being a bishop, and I love God.”

Private interment and a church-wide Celebration of Bishop Barahona’s Life were held in San Salvador shortly after his death.

IN MEMORIAM: Vernon Austin ‘59

VernonAustin.jpg

The Rev. Vernon A. Austin, Jr., Class of 1959 of Collegeville, PA, died  March 19, 2019 at the age of 84. He and his wife, Judith (Haubens) Austin, would have celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary on June 6th of this year.

Born June 9, 1934, in Trenton, NJ, he was a son of the late Vernon A. Austin, Sr. and Elizabeth (Clarke) Austin. He was a graduate of Hampden-Syndey College in Virginia before earning his Master of Divinity from General.

Austin began his ministerial work as a curate at Trinity Episcopal Church in Ambler, PA. He later served as an assistant at St. George’s Episcopal Church in Schenectady, NY, before being called to Christ Church in Herkimer, NY as their Rector. In 1967, he answered the call of Trinity Episcopal Church of Gloversville, NY. He then served St. John’s Episcopal Church in Norristown, PA starting in 1976, and retired in 1996.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two children, Virginia Carol Stellato and her husband, Mark T., of Valley Cottage, NY, and Stephen Michael Austin and his wife, Amber Y., of Lewisburg, PA; and four grandchildren, Martin, Austin, and Marissa Stellato, and Nola Austin.

IN MEMORIAM: Bill Breedlove ‘92

Headshot_BillBreedlove.jpg

The Reverend William Otis Breedlove, II, Class of 1992, died March 8, 2019 in New Brunswick, NJ. He most recently served as an Associate at St. Barnabas’s Church in Monmouth Junction. He previously served in the diocese of New Jersey at St. Andrew’s Church, Trenton; St. Andrew’s Church, Mount Holly; and Trinity Church, Swedesboro. He also served in a number of interim positions and organized and worked in the Resource Room at Diocesan House for many years.

Born January 15, 1941, Breedlove was the son of a Baptist minister who followed in his father’s path and after college and seminary, was ordained in the American Baptist Church. His years at the Divinity School of the University of Chicago started him down a different spiritual path from that in which he had been raised and shortly after his ordination in the Baptist Church he left that tradition and became an Episcopalian.

After receiving a M.S. in library science, Breedlove spent time at The Free Library of Philadelphia working mostly in adult literacy and outreach services. He also served as the director of two public libraries in New Jersey. In the late 1980s, he again began to explore ordination. After Anglican Studies and training as a spiritual director at General, he was ordained to the priesthood by the Rt. Rev. G. P. Mellick Belshaw. He was an active spiritual director and a life professed member of the Third Order, Society of St. Francis as well as serving as the Formation Director for the Province of the Americas.

Services will be on Saturday, March 16th at 11 AM at St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, 142 Sand Hills Road, Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852. 

IN MEMORIAM: Albert Minor ‘55

Albert-Minor.jpg

The Rev. Albert Neely Minor, Class of 1955, died January 4th, 2019. He was born in Jennings, LA, on March 6, 1930, grew up in Griffin, GA, and made Knoxville his home for the past fifty-four years.

He was a graduate of University of the South (Sewanee), and the University of Tennessee before attending General. He began his vocation in the priesthood in Fort Valley, Georgia; then served as campus minister at East Tennessee State University before being called to Tyson House Episcopal Student Center at the University of Tennessee, where he served as college chaplain for the Diocese of East Tennessee from 1964 until his retirement in 1994. 

Minor was widely respected for his active involvement in many religious organizations, as well as local and regional community organizations over the past 50 years. Those included the Campus Ministry Council, Fort Sanders Historical Association, Bridge Refugee Program, and the Prison Ministry of St. James Church. He served on the National Advisory Committee for Ministries in Higher Education, and Board of Governors for the Appalachian Peoples Service Organization (APSO) / Coalition for Human Needs. He co-chaired the General Convention Youth Program for the Appalachian Region and served as mentor and friend to many.

He was preceded in death by his beloved son, Stephen Phillip Minor. He will be greatly missed by his wife of 63 years, Carroll Wood Tuthill Minor, children Deborah Williamson (Warren), Michelle Rule (Tony), and David Minor. He also leaves five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren - all who truly loved their "Gigi," and special family friend Rebecca Hare. 

A requiem mass was held on Wednesday, January 9th, 4:00 p.m., at St. James Episcopal Church, Knoxville.


His final request – "Mourn not. Offer prayers of thanksgiving for his time of life among us."

IN MEMORIAM: Edward Kelley ‘53

Edward-Allen-Kelley-color-1551189910.jpg

Edward Allen Kelley, Class of 1953, died peacefully at home in Ridgefield, CT on Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at the age of 91. He was the loving husband of the late Margaret Talbott Kelley.

 Kelley was born in Clinton, MA on June 28, 1927, the only child of Edward Francis Kelley and Lillian Marion (Keigwin) French, and the stepson of William French. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1945 and promptly joined the U.S. Navy to fight in World War II. Though the war ended before he saw combat, he continued to serve in the Naval Reserve until 1947 and then attended Trinity College in Hartford, CT on the GI Bill, graduating in 1950. He received a Masters of Sacred Theology from General in 1953.

 Apart from early employment at the soda fountain of Clinton’s drugstore, Kelley spent his entire career in book publishing, working first for Colonial Press in Clinton from 1953 to 1957, then for the religious publisher Morehouse-Barlow Company in New York City, initially as the manager of its bookstore and then as Vice President/Editorial Director. From 1974 to 1983 he was Senior Vice President at Oxford University Press, followed by a period as a publishing consultant, where the books he shepherded included the collected writings of Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu. He ended his distinguished editorial run as President & Publisher of Morehouse Publishing Company in Wilton and Ridgefield, retiring in 1997.

 Allen met his wife Margie while both were living and working in New York City, and they married in 1962. They moved to Ridgefield in 1968, where they raised their three children. Allen was a parishioner at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church for over 50 years, serving on its Vestry and as Senior Warden. He was very involved in the life of the church, teaching Sunday school, manning the “Garden Spot” at the church Nutmeg Festival every summer, and, after his wife’s death in 1995, establishing with his children the Margaret T. Kelley fund to support young people and their understanding of the world.

 Kelley loved golf, jazz, reading, his ancestral home of Ireland, The New York Times, tennis, a good martini, his family, and blueberry pie, not necessarily in that order. He was a lifelong fan of the Chicago Cubs; after their World Series title in 2016 he declared he could die a happy man. He enjoyed, with Margie and his children and grandchildren, many happy summers in the Cape Cod town of Brewster, MA. In an interview he gave to his grandson Aidan for a second-grade biography project, Allen said the things that were most important to him were “family, justice, and peace in the world.” And that what he would most like to be remembered for was “being a good friend.”

 Allen is survived by his three children and their spouses: Catherine Kelley and her husband Erik Oley, Edward Kelley and his wife Allison, Michael Kelley and his wife Kim, as well as his seven grandchildren: Aidan, Ava, Connor, May, and Fiona Kelley, and Liam and James Oley.

 A celebration of Allen’s life will be held on Saturday, March 16th at 2:00 p.m. at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 351 Main Street in Ridgefield. A reception will follow at the Ridgefield Community Center (The Lounsbury House). Interment will be private.

 

IN MEMORIAM: Ian George ‘64

IanGeorge.jpg

The Most Rev. Ian Gordon Combe George, Class of 1964, D.D. 2003 died January 29, 2019 at the age of 84.  He was the archbishop of Adelaide, Australia between 1991 and 2004.

Born August 12, 1934, George was ordained a priest in 1964 after an early career as a lawyer. He held curacies at St. Thomas’s Mamaroneck and St. David’s Burnside, and was then Priest-in-Charge at St. Barbara’s Woomera. After this he was a chaplain and lecturer in history at the University of Western Australia. He was Dean of Brisbane from 1973 to 1981 when he became Archdeacon of Canberra. In 1989, he was appointed an assistant bishop of the diocese until he was transferred to Adelaide.

George was recognized in the 2001 Australia Day Honours as an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) “for service to the Anglican Church, ecumenism and to the community through engagement in social policy issues and international relief work.” His passion for refugees was a hallmark of his social engagement, in particular during his time as Archbishop of Adelaide.

A keen supporter of the arts, especially the visual arts, George loved to make links between the great Christian themes of forgiveness, redemption, and resurrection and the great masters. His Good Friday tours of the Art Gallery of South Australia were one way he expressed his love of the arts.

In 2004, just several months before he was due to retire, George resigned from the role of archbishop after a report was released on the church’s mishandling of sex abuse cases. Assistant Bishop Tim Harris told Australian press sources that George had lived in Melbourne following his resignation and had been very reflective and mindful of the concerns of others. In 2016, George made a submission to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, admitting that he should have done more to help victims during his time in charge, and that he felt “a deep sense of remorse.” “I accept that my failure to act in a way which placed the welfare of survivors of abuse and their families at the centre of the diocesan response,” said Bishop George, “resulted in further hurt to those survivors and their families. I am truly sorry that my leadership failed them.”

George suffered a stroke in late 2018, and another in early 2019 leading to his death at The Alfred Hospital two weeks later. He is survived by his wife, Barbara George. A Thanksgiving Service for his life was held in St. John’s Anglican Church, 86 Clendon Road, Toorak on Wednesday, February 6, 2019, followed by a private cremation.

IN MEMORIAM: Ward H. Clabuesch ‘53

ward-clabuesch-auburn-hills-mi-obituary.jpg

The Rev. Ward Clabuesch, Class of 1953, died on December 26, 2018 at the age of 91 after a long illness. Born in Bad Axe, MI, on June 1, 1927 Clabuesch was raised in Pigeon, MI, a small farming community in the Thumb area. After high school he entered the US Navy and served in the Pacific theater for 18 months, most notably as a cook on an LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) where he cooked for 40 men and baked 20 loaves of bread a day - mixed by hand in two batches! Preparing wonderful meals became a life-long hobby. During his time in the service he discovered the Episcopal Church.

In the fall of 1946 he entered Michigan State University and completed a degree in history. In 1950 he entered General. As a seminarian he worked in London, England, for one summer at St. Paul’s, London Docks, and another summer he did pastoral clinical training at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan. On June 27, 1953 he was ordained to the Diaconate and on December 26, 1953 he was ordained to the Priesthood - both at All Saints’ Church in Pontiac, MI. As if by design, he died on the 65th anniversary of his ordination.

Clabuesch served at All Saints as assistant for two years, and then was elected Rector of St. Paul’s, Corunna, where he served for six years. In 1961, he was called to be Rector of St. Luke’s Church in Allen Park, and in 1971, called as Associate Rector to Christ Church, Dearborn. In 1976 he became the Rector of Christ Church, Dearborn, where he served until his “retirement” in 1992. He continued to serve in the Diocese of Michigan as both a supply and interim priest. He also served at St. Gregory’s in Boca Raton, FL, in the winter months for a number of years. Ultimately, he ended his career where it began, at All Saints’ Church, Pontiac. He celebrated his last Eucharist there December 29, 2013 - the 60th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood.

Throughout his career, Clabuesch was active on many Diocese of Michigan commissions and committees, including the Music Commission, the Ecumenical Commission, the Education Committee, the Future Planning Committee, and the Standing Committee. He also served as a Dean of the Westside Convocation and was on the board of the Whitaker School of Theology. Always community-minded he served as Chapter Chairman of the American Red Cross in Shiawassee County and in Dearborn as Chairman of the March of Dimes, member of the board of Michigan Cancer Society, member of the Human Subjects Review Board at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and a member of the Board of Trustees of Oakwood Hospital. He was a founding member of the Board of the Dearborn Pastoral Center, and a member of the Dearborn Religious Alliance. He was a faithful Rotarian for several decades. When he returned to All Saints’ in 1994, he became involved in many of their community endeavors, but his favorite was Bound Together, an after school tutoring and meal program that is still going strong today.

Preceded in death by his parents, Ernest and Bertha Clabuesch, his brother E.J. Clabuesch, and his sister Dorothea Porter, Fr. Clabuesch is survived by his partner Charles Sajewski, his daughter Anne Campbell (Mark) of Commerce Twp., MI, his son Stephen Clabuesch (Cecilia) of Santa Cruz, CA, his grandchildren, Kyle Baldwin, Sean Baldwin, and Piper Shin, and his great granddaughter Emma Baldwin. “Uncle Ward” is also survived by many nieces and nephews who always looked to him for wisdom, guidance, and a good story!

A Memorial Service was held on January 26, 2019 at All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 171 W. Pike St., Pontiac, MI.