You may contact the Admissions Office of the General Theological Seminary by the following means:

Mailing Address:
The General Theological Seminary of the Episcopal Church
Attn: Admissions
440 West 21st Street
New York, NY 10011

Click here for directions.

Telephone: 212-243-5150
Toll-free: 888-487-5649

Donna J. Ashley, Vice President of Advancement 646.717.9708
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Trecia O'Sullivan, Financial Aid, 646.717.9742


Anthony Khani, Housing, 646 717 9743

Fax: 212-727-3907



Is the Graduate Record Exam required for admission?
The GRE is required only when applying for Doctoral Study.

If I am in interested in ordained ministry, which degree programs should I be considering?
Typically the Master of Divinity degree is completed by students pursuing ordained ministry. When an M.Div. has already been completed and your ecclesiastical  authority is requiring further study, one of the following one year programs is completed – The Diploma in Anglican Studies or the Master of Sacred Theology.



If I am interested in pursuing Lay Leadership in my faith community, which degree programs should I be considering?
The Master of Arts degree program and the Certificate program are the most commonly pursued by people who are feeling called to non-ordained ministry, although it is certainly possible to complete the Master of Divinity degree program as a non-ordination track student.

My interests are primarily academic. Which degree programs should I be considering?
General does boast a fine doctoral program, the ThD. Most students who are considering this degree program and are feeling called to an academic vocation in theological studies first complete the Master of Arts program. Those applicants who have already complete a masters degree and are seeking an advanced degree, either as an end to itself or in preparation for doctoral work, will complete Master in Sacred Theology program. 

Can I take a class as non-degree student?
Absolutely. Every year General welcomes between 75 and 100 General Learners who take classes as part-time non-degree students.


Is postulancy required for the Master of Divinity program?
If you are interested in ordination in the Episcopal church, postulancy or permission from the bishop and involvement in the diocesan discernment process is required.

If ordination is not desired, but the prospective student wants to earn an Master of Divinity, is that possible?
Yes. Often a prospective student is interested in an academic vocation and completes the Master of Divinity before moving toward the doctoral program. However, the Master of Arts program can serve the same purpose.

Is a bachelors degree required for the Master of Divinity program?
Yes. However, if a student is only deficient by a few credits (to be defined by the Admissions Committee) from completing the bachelors degree, he/she may begin as a Full-time Non-degree student, with all earned credits transferring (once the student has been accepted) to the Master of Divinity program.

How can I find information on schools for my children?
There is a website that has been put together for parents new to NYC. Take a look at (This is a third-party website and is not connected with General Seminary.)


440 West 21st Street, New York City, NY 10011   |   tel (212) 243-5150  fax (212) 727-3907

The General Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church is a tax exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.